Monday, November 1, 2010

Art journaling

I have always loved to create.  From cross-stitch to quilting to scrapbooks, I can't remember the last time I didn't have a project I was working on.  While browsing the craft books at my local Barnes and Noble, I came across an art journaling book.  I was intrigued by the use of mixed-media art to journal thoughts, dreams, and day-to-day goings on.  I immediately wanted to start my own, but it all seemed very overwhelming.  When I got home I searched art journaling on Youtube and I was amazed by the number of postings.  I started at the top and made my way through at least twenty.  It wasn't nearly as difficult as I had thought!  I rushed out to Hobby Lobby and purchased some of the main supplies: a mixed media journal, white gesso (primer), some brushes, some cheap acrylic paint, water soluble crayons (my favorite!) and got to work.  Since the journal is just that, a journal, I didn't feel pressured to produce something that others would think beautiful.  I just let myself go and used the art of others to inspire me.  I have to say, this project has been the most freeing.  I have learned so much about myself.  I highly recommend investing some time in expressing yourself through art.  Use song lyrics, quotes, and phrases to inspire you.  Put a visual to the feelings that are too complex to express through words alone.  I think you will be surprised with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment