Sunday, July 17, 2011

Addison's Anime Room

My youngest daughter, Addison, has been asking for several years to paint her room.  This year she will be going into 5th grade.  She will be 11 in November and I felt like she was definitely ready to transition to a "tween" room.  The pink room we did when she was 5 was just not cutting it anymore.  So we went down to our local Lowe's store and checked out some paint swatches.  The colors she chose were Hang Ten (a dark turquois) and Kiwi Splash (very bright lime green) by Valspar.  Neither were colors that I would have chosen, but she is old enough to be able to design her own room.  We took the swatches home and put them on her wall.  Within a few days she decided she wanted to use the Hang Ten.  I really didn't want to have to paint the walls with primer and since we were painting over a light pink, I chose the Valspar Signature Colors paint with the primer already added.  We bought our paint and headed home.
 The original pink
These are not the best "before" shots.  I tend to jump into a project, forgetting to take pictures until I've already moved stuff around.  Anyway, you get the idea of how light the pink was in her room.  Addison was so excited to help and we both got busy painting.  I have to say, she was a BIG help.  She focused on the lower half of the walls, while I hit the top half.


I REALLY loved the paint.  It went on very smooth and it definitely covered better than the Olympus paint I used to use.  The Valspar was almost double the price, but it was well worth it.  I still put two coats on her walls, but since the primer was already in the paint I was able to skip that step.

Addison loves anime, so we went on the web and found a site that sells anime posters.  Two of her favorites are Chobits and Shugo Chara.  She is actually not allowed to watch Chobits since it is rated PG-14, but she has seen all of the episodes of the other.  These were the posters she chose.


She loves them and she was really excited about the fact that they came all the way from China.  I can't wait for her room to be complete.  Next week, I will focus on her furniture and show you how I painted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment